FramesDirect has an easy to use interface and quick options for testing glasses such as the ability to upload a pic and see how glasses would look on you without logging in. LensCrafts is an effective choice if you’d rather go to a brick and mortar store and schedule it online. Eyeglasses.com will work well fi you need your eyeglasses sent to you rapidly.
Covered in this report
FramesDirect sells eyeglass frames, eyeglasses, lenses, contact lenses, sunglasses and prescription sunglasses. Their frames and glasses are all name brands such as Bolle, Gucci, Ray-Ban, Oakley, Coach, Calvin Klein, Guess, Polo, Ralph Lauren and many others. FramesDirect also sells specialty glasse... read more...
⌊ Best coupon: $40 Off $230 for Prescription Glasses Orders
⌊ Ask a question about FramesDirect
⌊ View 0 coupons for FramesDirect
⌊ FramesDirect overview on Knoji
Discounts up to 40% off readily accessible on front page.
Upload your picture to see what a particular pair of glasses would look like on you without logging in.
Best for: Those who want the ability to try out how glasses would look before committing to them.
Schedule an eye exam online right through the site.
50% Off lenses when you buy frames.
Best for: Those that want to get eye exams and purchase glasses in-person.
A+ Rating through BBB service seal on main site.
Get free Next-day shipping with UPS.
Best for: Get free Next-day shipping with UPS.
FramesDirect has a fairly clear way of contacting them through the contact link in the top right that shows you exactly whether the offices are open at the time that you click. Generally this is during business hours, and you can either call or email through the info there. The interface is straightforward and you can go right to what you want whether it’s sunglasses, prescription sunglasses, eyeglasses or whatever other topic.
- 10% Off for Email Sign Up-If you sign up with your email address when the welcome box comes up on the site, you can get 10% off of your first order right away.
- Frequent Seasonal Deals Up to 40% Off-The site often has deals on glasses that go up to 40% off, such as for Back to School sales.
- Free Shipping-As long as you’re not buying contact lenses or shipping to Alaska or Hawaii, your order will ship for free.
- Approximate Look-You can click “try” for certain glasses on the product listing in the top right of the picture. This lets you upload your own picture in order to see what it would look like on you, or else use stock photos pf men or women.
LensCrafters has a number of brick and mortar locations throughout the nation, so they’re a good choice if you happen to need an eye exam to help you buy glasses. It’s possible to get free trial contacts through the site if you talk to your eye doctor about it. The company accepts multiple vision insurance plans including Aetna, Humana, Blue Cross, and others. The site is a bit clunky for navigation since there’s this huge gap in the middle when you first visit that doesn’t fill in until you put your cursor over something.
- Schedule Eye Exam Online-Because LensCrafters has so many physical locations, you can schedule eye exams online which is often easier than calling. Then you can make the glasses purchase in the store.
- Half Off Lenses-When you buy frames, you can get 50% off the lenses, depending on the current state of this deal.
- 25$ Bonus for SignUp-You get this extra bonus just by clicking the blue “sign up” button in the “myAccount” box in the bottom right corner of the site.
- Add Prescription for $70-LensCrafters makes it so that you can buy any sunglasses and then just add in your prescription for $70 more only.
- Live Chat-If you want help from the customer service on LensCrafters, there’s a “Live Chat” option available in the bottom left corner under the “Customer Service” section.
This site gets high ratings on BBB and on the Shopper Approved customer review site. The latter site gives 5 stars with over 1500 reviews. You can chat with them by clicking on the blue contact rectangle in the bottom left corner. IF it’s during business hours, there will be live chat here, otherwise you can just send them a message. You can pay for the products with many different options including Visa, Mastercard, other major credit cards, PayPal and even Amazon Payments.
- Free Next Day Shipping for First Orders-This deal may come and go, but a box pops up when you first visit the site that lets you add your email and give your email address in order to get free Next Day Shipping through UPS.
- A+ BBB Rating-The company gets the highest rating through BB with their offices located in Westport, Connecticut. They’ve been accredited since 2001 and they get the highest rating due to a low number of complaints, which is only 3 in the last 3 years. All of them were closed as well.
- Free Shipping Over $55-If you buy more than $55 worth of products than you get the shipping for free. Otherwise, this is about $5.
Head to Head
Price and Shipping
Shipping through FramesDirect is free. This is only for the lower 48 states, though. It doesn’t apply to Alaska, Hawaii, or any of the territories. You also can’t use it for contact lenses or when you exchange orders. An example of pricing would be the Oakley Flak Jacket XLJ Prescription Sunglasses which go for $145.
LensCrafters doesn’t appear to have the exact same brand as FramesDirect, but they do have Oakley’s glasses such as the 1066 Servo which goes for $160. The site doesn’t appear to have sunglasses as much for Oakley. Shipping is free through the site though it takes 7 processing days and 3 shipping days to get to you. The non-prescription stuff will be much faster at only 2 processing days. You can get the glasses faster with next day shipping if you want to spend $13.
Eyeglasses.com gives you free shipping for orders over $55, and charges $5 otherwise. They also automatically calculate shipping time based on the address determined through your IP when you visit the site. The estimates aren’t etched in stone or anything, though, they are just a guess. Oakley Flack Jacket Sunglasses go for $150 on Eyeglasses.com
Overall, it seems that FramesDirect may have a bit of an advantage in pricing at least in some areas such as some sunglasses.
The return policy for Frames Direct is that you can do a return or exchange for an item within 30 days of purchasing it. You can exchange any product within 30 days for a different product of the same type, though you do need the original packaging and you have to pay shipping. In the case of non-prescription eyewear for returns, you can get a full refund minus 10% stocking fee. This is only 50% for prescription eyewear.
LensCrafters has a 30 day return policy that’s unconditional, according to the site. This doesn’t count for any accidental damage, breakage, or scratches, however.
Eyeglasses.com has a 30 day return policy where you can get a full refund. The return postage is not paid for. You can return frames 3 times without restocking fee, but after that you pay 20%.
Overall, the return policies for the sites are largely comparable in terms of fees and time for returning.